Friday, June 25, 2010

And I'm off

The beginning of my journey was quite uneventful except relearning two lessons:

1.) Check your work: I learned as I was trying to board my plane to New Zealand that the genius that I am wrote the wrong birth date on my visa application. So I got to wait as they verified my visa and once again once I entered the country. Sitting on the chairs right after customs is quite a funny experience as all that walk by wonder what devious thing you have done.

2.) Physics exists, even on airplanes: Bringing on my own mostly empty water bottle I opened it to a mist of water spurting everywhere...which in turn went all over my neighbors who first thought it was spit. Quite awesome.

Spent over 24 hours traveling to New Zealand and arrived in a daze. Took a shuttle bus (which are taxis that take larger items) to the bike shop where it was to be reassembled, said goodbye to Stella (my bike) for the four time. I continued into Wellington on bus all the way to the Train Station where I did research in my guidebook, thank you Rox and Jess, for a hostel.

Got a room and had a few hours prior to check in and began exploring. Off course I forgot to bring my camera so no photos yet. Saw the floating ball in the city center and also witnessed two guys jump into the bay (it's only 45F here).

Saturday I retrieved Stella and have never felt so happy. Rode along the bay back to downtown with a light heart. Yesterday, mostly due to jet lag, I began to wonder what I would do for a whole year. Riding back, seeing the clear green water smash against the shore, was exhilarating and nerve racking. Left side riding takes a little to get used to. At least I have not had to make a right turn yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment