Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Samuel P Taylor Park to Manchester Park, CA

May 21st - Samuel P Taylor to Bodega Dunes - 43 miles

Started through the redwoods. Had a heck of a day as I had a headwind the whole day. Really am out of shape for wind and rolling hills. The guy I met last night said I could get past Bodega but no way was that happening...I'm going to blame it on the wind.

He also mentioned doing "appreciations" to help get through the worst moods on the bike. When in a funk you start appreciating things (i.e. I appreciate the grass, I appreciate the pavement, etc). Really glad he mentioned it as I used it a lot today! Normally it would sound too corny and I wouldn't do it but when your mind is focusing on the negative it really helps switch your way of thinking and make things bearable and even enjoyable again.

May be taking the next couple of days slowly to keep the attitude positive. We'll see what the wind throws at me.

May 22, 2011 - Bodega Dunes to Woodville campground - 29 miles

Another winding day. Last night met an older tourist (70's) also going north. He's gone 700 miles so far. Encouraging in more than one way. It's nice to see that I can keep doing this into old age.

Today made me realize that the likelihood of me making it all the way to Vancouver was growing slim. The scenery was beautiful and I could understand where heading south would be lovely. It was still a nice day of riding but wore me out as it was quite hilly. I had to laugh when I was super excited for a switchbacking hill in order to get out of the wind! Goes to show that everything is about perception.

Met up with the other cyclist in time for lunch prior to heading the last few miles to the campgrounds. We were staying at separate grounds as there was one another 5 miles up the road.

I've reconciled my disappointment of not finishing the route but it will be here next time for me to finish. Of course I could get so in shape that I make up the lost miles! Still there's something about finishing a hard day of riding that makes me realize I've done something. Luckily so far it's been sunny which always helps (knock on wood).

May 23, 2011 - Woodville campsite to Mancester campsite - 40 miles

Today the wind did not start until 10:00! I was super excited and the views were great as well. Followed the coast for the morning interspersed with forest riding.

Had less then 10 miles left when the wind really started to pick up. At this point there were also a couple of hills. As I crested the second one I was looking down at the ocean and a small plain prior to the hills starting again, very beautiful.

Along the way I saw vultures snacking on an unlucky raccoon. The first time I had seen them up close....truthfully they are quite a large bird to be only a few feet away from!

Also, there was a pretty beach near the campsite that had flowering sand dunes and sand cliffs on a large portion of the dune so getting down to the beach was quite interesting. Watching the ocean here it is in such turmoil. The Pacific I had gotten used to seems so well behaved in comparison. I've been told it's because of the angle of the land and the seabed topography but it's interesting to see the difference.

The interesting thing with this trip is that I miscalculated how much I would be missing my friends and family! When I was overseas there was no way to get home and even phone calls were an exorbitant price. Partly due to this my homesickness/loneliness wasn't that great. On this trip I could call friends/family but I'm staying at campsites with no electricity so I have to conserve my phone time. Since I'm so close and actually am able to talk to them this self-imposed exile is difficult to ignore. It took me completely by surprise since I really didn't have this problem when in New Zealand. Guess it will just make the homecoming even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment