Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Biding time

End of August

August 10th

I arrived back in Wellington in time for a bunch of my friends to also be back. I spent a week with them relaxing and then went to the doctor for an appointment. To my great pleasure he told me that my arm was healing nicely and that I could get a new cast....this one below the elbow. So I chose my beautiful pink color and rejoiced (to all in the hostels annoyance) about being able to bend my elbow again. It is an amazing experience to go from not being able to touch your head/face to being able to. People that have never had the opportunity to discover this really don't understand the freedom that this allows.

August 15

After this I decided to leave Wellington for a couple of weeks as I had no idea the amount of rehab that would be necessary, and as such the next time I would be able to leave. I headed north to New Plymouth to see Mount Taranaki and more importantly up to Waitomo Caves and glow worms.
In one of the Caves at Waitomo

New Plymouth was nice I did get to see Taranaki but did not get pictures. I also got to enjoy the sunset on the beach.

Than I went to the Waitomo Caves with their glow worms....which were amazing. Imagine being on a river in a cave and looking up to a night sky with more stars then you have ever seen. That is the caves. I went on a basic cave tour first, which was a one on one tour, and had a great time discussing caves and everything with the guide. Than I went to the most famous of the caves, which are famous for good reason. Both tours were great for the different atmospheres they presented.

Once I was done with the caves I proceeded to Whitecliff Brewery which is home of Mike's Beer including a double IPA and a Whiskey Porter. The first day I got to go in the beer vat to help clean it out. It was an interesting time as I was helping a guy with a badly injured foot and I had my broken arm that I couldn't get wet. I spent most of my five days there making a sign for Oktoberfest and then hitched a ride back to Wellington since they were going down for Beervana.

Since August 25th I have been in Wellington, some of the highlights of this stay include:

Getting my cast off...only to realize the true journey has just begun. I still can't rotate my arm. Ligaments are not happy with me. Luckily I have friends here to pick me up when I need a hug, encouragement and if necessary a beer.

Making sushi with Zeke and JJ for us, Mikenna and Sarah. We went a little crazy and had enough food for 10 people.

Finding a salsa dancing place. I will convince the world that salsa dancing is amazing, even if you aren't good.

Hiking with JJ and Jorg and seeing this amazing picture. I just hope that bikers and dogs don't get confused!

Finishing a hike with a full out 30 minute run down a hill, to get out of the park 3 minutes prior to the gate locking. I'm not sure how I did not fall down the cliffside and injury myself more. The worst part was the last bit was amazingly beautiful in the sunset but none of us (JJ, Jorg, Mikenna or Phil W) could take photos.

Long Island iced tea night, and everyone at the hostel being crazy. Followed by sangria and potroast night.

No comments:

Post a Comment