Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Whistler - Day 1

June 14 - Whistler

Today was my first day of downhill mtbing. I was nervous going out as downhill riding in general has not been the fun it was prior to breaking my arm. Went in and got all geared up and wait for my lesson/guided tour to begin. As it gets closer to leaving time it becomes clear that it will only be me with the guide which is super great since then I pretty much get a personalized session. The lesson was only three runs with the ability to ride more alone if I wanted.

The first run was a little hairy as I'm really not good at mtbing and then add going down hill and speed equals scary. No crashes just really slow as I don't trust myself or bike. For me the hardest part is remembering the bike can handle all of those bumps...also it's hard to override your brain when it wants to brake but you should flow through things.

The second run was better. Definitely nice to do part of the run over again, it is way more fun when you know what is coming up next.

Third run we went up on a medium hard run since I had done all of the easy runs. It was nice to get an introduction to all new tracks so if I would continue on that day I would be familiar with some. By this time it was getting a little later so there were tons of bikers and most of them were very good (as in professionals). This was fun to watch when they were ahead or on a different track but nervewracking when you could hear them behind you...specially cause I'm not as good at knowing the yield rules (always to right or where makes sense...not to mention that I moved over so people could pass on my right...whoopsi).

Needless to say as much as I would've liked to keep going I knew that I would be riding the next day and would be horribly sore if I did an all-dayer today. So I went to shower, grab some food and chill out for the rest of the day. Also, I switched my day for tomorrow from all day alone to half day lesson...figured this would give me all the time I actually needed out there but would be more fun and maybe meet some people to hang out with at game 7 of Stanley cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment