Sunday, October 23, 2011

Poland and Slovakia

20th October 2011 – Zakopane


Zakopane yesterday when it was beautiful out

I did not leave the hostel today! 1.5 days of being lazy...of course the fact that it sleeted all day did have sway on my decision.

I kinda forgot that I had been nonstop running around for the last month and that I truly did need a couple of days to decompress and compute. I mean I did just leave my home to setup a new home halfway around the world. Not to mention the 6 months of traveling I have in front of me prior to settling down again.

An exciting thing that has happened is that a friend will be cycle touring with me in SE Asia! I'm super stoked to get to travel with him and have someone to tour with in Asia.

21st October 2011 – Zakopane (Poland) to Spisske Pradhidie (Slovakia)

Got up and when down for breakfast in time to enjoy the staff rearranging powerstrips so all of the kitchen electronics would work. It was one of those jobs where two people were doing it but it would've been much more productive to only have one!

Headed to the bus stop for my 11:00 bus. About 10 minutes before it was suppose to come I was looking at the schedule and notice that the letters I had assumed on the online version corresponded to the route were actually describing the timeframe that the bus ran. It turns out I had missed my opportunity for the 11:00 bus by a week (literally it doesn't run for two weeks and I was smack in the middle).

The next bus won't leave until 13:00. Since I had already purchased a coffee and only had 4 zloty above what the cost of the bus was (or hoped it was) I didn't want to spend any money. Which left me wandering around town for a little bit prior to heading back to sit at the bus station. Now since I hadn't expected to sit at the bus station for 4 hours I wasn't dressed in my warmest clothes...nor did I feel like digging to the very bottom of my bag to find my warmer clothes so I was quite chilly by the time I got on the bus.

I soon was thinking of how glad I was that I had to take the later bus as we climbed through the mountains dusted with snow in the beginning of evening light. There is something about evening light in the fall...it expands the yellow and oranges in the leaves and makes me believe I can touch the colors.

I made it to the headed train station in Poprad bought my ticket to Spisske Podhradie and waited for the train to arrive. As the train brought me closer to my final destination of the night dusk was setting in and the red and pink light added to the beauty of the rolling hills. All of a sudden I realized it was DARK...so dark that it was nearly impossible to read the stations when the train stopped...hmmm maybe the beautiful light wasn't worth it? Not to worry I did see my station (plus the train was on schedule so time let me know I was close).

I then stepped off onto another set of tracks! Hehehe not the design that my past projects would embrace. I had 9 km more to complete my journey. At first I thought I would need to wait the 25 minutes in the cold but soon I found my train already waiting. It was in fact more of a trolley. The cutest thing I'd seen that day...and it was heated!!

Made it to Spisske Podhradie where I started walking under the big dipper to my pension. The big dipper is one of the things I take for granted being from the northern hemisphere and I will miss it. The Spiss Castle was lit up and was absolutely beautiful. Instantly at seeing it I knew that it was a place not to miss. The great thing was that my pension had a courtyard that perfectly framed the castle. What a great view!

22 October 2011 – Spisske Podhradie

The weather forcast had predicted a beautiful sunny day...but I woke to a dismal grey everywhere. Began my day by going to Spisske Kapitula which is a smaller fortress with a large church and a cute clock tower. From here I could get a good view of Spiss Castle on the next hill.

On the way back I stopped at a little cafe for coffee and a treat. I'd call it a bon bon but it was the size of my fist...chocolate coconut deliciousness.

Then continued on to the Castle. I love ruins of castles! Castles with their roofs intact with furniture and decorations just isn't generally my thing. But ruins of castles are so fun to visit...I suppose part of it is I can fill in the gaps with whatever I want it to look like. Plus it has a kind of romance to it...as confirmed by the wedding couple who were getting there pictures taken at the castle.





A great way to spend a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment