Monday, October 17, 2011

Poznan and Krakow

14th October 2011 - Poznan

Got into Poznan and was met by a coworkers friend, Hanna, who had graciously agreed to show me around as well as stay with her and her family.

Luckily we had planned that she would be wearing a red coat and my train car pulled up right next to her. We arrived home met her husband (Marek) and son (Bartek) had dinner then went for an excursion to see Poznan at night.

We went out for a drink at the local brew pub...which was an experience. The brew pub was attached to a slightly upscale restaurant so it was not how they normally are in the States. Had a honey beer which was lightly sweet but not overbearing. Super cute place.

I had took for granted the 'extensive' German I knew. Entering Poland there was no comprehension of any words. It also sounds a lot different than I expected it to. With it in between Germany and Russia I thought it would be much harsher...but it actually has more the flow of a romantic language. Shows my naivete but that is okay.

15 October 2011 - Poznan

I spent the day with Hanna as she showed me around during the daylight hours. We went to a great shopping center that had converted an old brewery complex. There were new elements along with incorporating parts of the original brewery. Of course all types of geekery came out and I loved it!

We then went out for a sushi lunch prior to heading to a very adorable restaurant for a coffee. The restaurant at night would be packed but was perfect for an after lunch coffee. Part of it was a wine sales floor. Somehow it pulled off quite a sophisticated feel while being homey. One of those places you would never just happen upon on your own.


At night I was shown around by Bartek. We went for a walk to the local 'ski' hill which is a small hill that has artifical snow year round to learn on. I wish I had something like it to help improve my snowboarding skills! Then we met up for drinks with some of his friends. Great time meeting new people and chatting.


We were thwarted at our attempt to go to the local Mexican restaurant that when you order cheesecake Zorro delivers it to the table!! We were too impatient to wait *surprise*.

16th October 2011 - Krakow

I was delivered to my train by Marek and Hanna and wished good luck prior to my 8 hour ride. The train was long but uneventful...of course now not speaking the language was a little stressful as the train was late so I wasn't sure exactly when my station was coming. Of course there was no reason to worry as there were smaller stations prior to the Glowny (central station) so I had warning.

Took a little detour on my way to the Hostel but all in all not too much of a delay. By the time I got in I went straight to bed.

17th October 2011 - Krakow


Went for a walk around old town and the jewish section. Stopped for a zapiekanka for lunch. This is best described first by picture:



This may not look it but is about a foot long. Unknown to me the bottom cheese is mixed with mushroom...which had I know I would have had chives on top as it would pretty much be a mushroom and onion pizza which is my favorite. Still with the extra toppings it was delicious.

Now that I was re-energized I did more research on what to see and went back to two of the main churches. First, I went to St. Francis Church which is known for it's beautiful stained glass windows. It was truly beautiful. The church walls had understated fresco paintings and was a place to sit and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings. The nice thing about this church was you didn't feel as if you were in a church.

Not a good picture of one of the stained glass in St. Francis Chruch

Right after I visited this church I went to the montrosity that is St. Mary's Church. I always forget that I do not like the gothic style as to me it is very guady and kitsch. Plus, I had to pay 6 zloty to get into it. Now this isn't expensive considering the upkeep has to be extensive but the beautiful St. Francis Church is free to enter. On top of this the Polish are slightly sneaky and have a separate charge if you want to take photos.

Anyway my senses were in complete shock from the gilded items that cluttered the walls. I stayed long enough to get my 6 zloty worth and then removed myself promptly. This church is home to the largest gothic statute if you like that sort of thing. I appreciate that this was not destroyed in the war but it really isn't my style.

After leaving I needed to be soothed so I went back to St. Francis's to enjoy myself and to donate to the church for upkeep.

18 October 2011 - Krakow

I booked a ticket for the Salt Mine tour yesterday. I had decided to be lazy and to take the tour instead of taking public transportation to the Mine. This would turn out to be a horrible mistake! I paid just under double to have to wait for the tour to pick me up 40 minutes late. Then, when we got there we just got the normal tour guides from the mine (which you can pay 78 zloty at the door). After the tour the bus didn't even take me back to my hostel. In other words paying extra is a complete rip off!!! Take the public bus and spend the 10 zloty for the photo fee!

Okay, now on to the actual tour of the Salt Mine. The mine itself is quite interesting. There are full chapels in the mine and some of them have chandeliers made from 'crystal' salt. Also, sculptures are located thorough-out the mine and the wooden structures built to stabilize the ceilings are quite awesome. Not only that but the tour only covers 1% of the mine which has over 2000 chambers. If I hadn't spent the exorbitant amount on my nonuseful tour there would be plenty of pictures here!!! As it was I was bitter and refused to fork over any more dough.

Once I got back to the City it was time for dinner. My friend George had suggested a restaurant for it's fish soup so I went with a new friend Magda. I ordered the half bowl which ended up being a HUGE portion! Unfortunately none of the pictures turned out showing the portion size! The funny thing about dinner was that we were charged 15 zloty for tap water...seems it is not my day to be conservative with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment