Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Angkor Complex - Siem Reap

8 December 2011 - Angkor complex

The normal tour of the Angkor complex begins at sunrise but as we had a longish day yesterday I decided to sleep in another hour and got my pass and into the park by 8 am.

Because the tourist buses have a route I decided to do the route in reverse.  This had me enter my first temple (Angkor Wat) from the east entrance which is not the main gate.  The last thing I would see of the day is the main entrance of Angkor Wat and the impressiveness of it.  As it was walking up to the temple through the wooded road was impressive at the time.






I continued on my way to a couple of smaller temples and then made my way to Ta Phrom.  This is the temple that was in Tomb Raider and has the forest reclaiming it.  I walked around the outside of the temple and then into what I thought was the main portion.  While it was pretty it wasn't anything spectacular...then coming back around to where I started I headed thorough to the main temple and understood immediately why this was so many peoples favorite temples.  I wandered for over an hour...the funny thing with the whole complex is that most people go by tour so if you go to any of the outer rooms/temples there is noone there.






Continued on to Bayon with it's four faced towers.





I can't imagine how amazing this complex would have been in it's time!

Then I went and had a massage...hard life I live!

No comments:

Post a Comment