Saturday, December 17, 2011

Still sick

16 & 17 December 2011

Having the pleasure of a upset stomach for almost a week has left me a little antsy.

Yesterday we decided to try and start our cycle to Kampot.  John had started to feel sick a couple days earlier.  I thought I was better and John was willing to try.  As it happened the day was hot and the route out of Phnom Penh is dusty and smelly.  Normally I appreciate the distinctive smells of the markets but with a weak stupid fresh fish and meat aroma is too much for me.

About 40 km into the ride we are both feeling it pretty hard.  We get into a small town and I ask "Do you think we can get a taxi to Kampot?"  John enthusiastically replies "I hope so!"

So it's decided to stop punishing ourselves and sit in the shade waiting for the taxi.  Now this is a Cambodian taxi..which translates to a van stuff with people and goods.  We watch (in slight horror) as our bikes, panniers and all, are strung secure with rope and the van trunk is "closed" with another piece of string. I am forced to sit facing backwards and watch as the bikes bounce up and down.

First taxi...no support and one rope around the back rack loaded w/ panniers...second rope around top tube with barely enough rope to tie a knot...safety first

This I felt much better about.  There was a board!  And unloaded.

In Ta Saom we have to switch taxi's.  My spot in the next taxi is facing an elderly Cambodia women who is wearing a thick cardigan, I can see the cataracts in her eyes.  She has thick wrinkles on her beautiful face.  She had a tickle in her throat so I gave her water...we became friends after that.  I love friendships where you don't need to talk.

Getting into Kampot we actually went shopping for guesthouses and of course ended up back at the first one which was really nice with a good bathroom!

Kampot is a beautiful town on a river.  Luckily as I was still feeling pretty crappy that night our window overlooked the river and the beautiful sunset...obstructed by a beer billboard...but seemed fitting.

The next day after taking some meds I started to feel better and could actually enjoy lounging at a cafe on the riverside...though only for a short time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment