Saturday, December 31, 2011

Culture Shock

So in Vietnam and the other day I was all "meh meh mehing" and was wondering why, when it hit me....Vietnam is the first place I've really encountered culture shock.

After being in Cambodia where everything was easy and straight forward.  Or if not easy everyone would try and help and the surprise of how great the food was Vietnam seems so difficult!

The first day in Vietnam I thought of it as the USA of southeast asia and this impression is becoming more concrete.  Not to say it is the same as the USA but people have more American attitudes.  People come across as pushy, loud, confident, abrasive, not helpful and will dupe you. All the while they are smiling away.  It seems as if you can't take them at face value but after being here awhile it's slowly becoming clear the cultural differences.

One example is that it is perfectly acceptable to blatantly rip a person (especially white) off.  They will literally have a price written down and then demand more than the written price!  They think oh it's a white person they won't miss a couple thousand, or tens of thousands of dong.  It isn't in a malicious way it just makes sense to them.  At first I stupidly paid this up charge prior to having John pay the correct price and me pay over the price.  After that I knew for sure I was being swindled.  It's annoying and at first lead me to really dislike Vietnamese people but then after thinking about it you have to give them credit for trying such an arrogant tactic and having it work.  I'm still guarded on liking people but know that I will have to get over that and accept the cultural difference.

It irritates me that I am allowing myself to have these negative thoughts of a people.  Some of my problem is that I always just assume people are touts and will expect money for helping me when I've already had multiple people help me find my way without asking or expecting anything (I've also had far more ask for compensation).  Time for an attitude adjustment!  Need to live in the moment and not hold stupid events close.  Plus the reality is that the couple of dollars a day I'm swindled out of means a lot more to them then it does to me.

Also, due to their pushiness and confidence it is exhausting to do any normal task.  There is constant motion and noise.  In the morning and at night I love Ho Chi Minh City as it is bustling, loud and great but in the early afternoon when it is hot and bustling and all you want is a coffee that you aren't getting overcharged for it grates on my nerves.

Now it probably sounds like I don't like Vietnam but that is not at all the case.  I actually find the people endearing even though I am always leery.  They have an energy that precedes them and act as though the world will do exactly what they think it will.  Plus I really like that the three countries in Asia I've been to so far are so different.  As tiring as it can be it's interesting to find out how this country ticks.

Plus I haven't mentioned the big smiles and nods of agreement/encouragement that we get from the locals.  While in Cambodia we got surprise looks and encouragement this is more of a full on, total approving nod.

I know a big part of my foul mood is also the disappointment in the food.  While it is okay so far Cambodia is winning out on that category!  I will say the steam buns are awesome to have around.

Anyway,  now that I have identified my issue I need to stop comparing it to Cambodia and let it stand alone as a country!

No comments:

Post a Comment