Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fun while traveling

And today is one of those traveling days that I just want to be at home.

Not because I didn't have a great day.  I did.  I went out and had good food.  Stopped by the historic district and went to the Japanese Bridge, two meeting houses, two old houses, folklore museum, two temples, and just wandered around.  Not to mention the delicious sweets of rice balls filled with coconut and in a delicious syrup or the fact that I fixed my front brake by myself when I thought I needed a mechanic.  No it was a great day.......BUT:

I want to be home.  I'm having one of those days when I realize how much my friends mean to me.  When I realize that anytime I have a problem I call someone and they make everything better.  Today, if I was at home, I would call Em and see if she wanted to stop at the Bulldog for a drink.  If she was available I'd walk a block and a half prior to calling here to tell her I was close.  She would meet me downstairs and we would walk to Bulldog where it would take me 5 minutes to decide on a beer.  If I wasn't in a girly mood we'd call Morgan to come and meet us....this is what I miss.  I miss my safety net.  I miss being able to call people to catch up quick...to get my mind off of things...to enjoy their company.

Some days I wonder why I decided to go on my self imposed exile.  Why did I decide that moving across the world was a good idea?  And then I have to remember how hard it was for me to go to college in Minneapolis. How long it took me to adjust.  How many conversations with my mom it took me to feel comfortable.  Now I don't have the luxury of reliable phone conversations.  Now I have to rely on myself.  Am I reliable?  Will I succeed?  I think so.  It's hard to stand out by yourself and take the beating alone.  I have to remember that.

Good night home....all of you...I miss the ones I'm away from and I'm excited for the ones I haven't encountered yet.

2 comments:

  1. Your safety net is still here, drinking beer at Bulldog just last night, thinking of you. Just hurry up and plan your next visit home.

    Miss you too.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the time you come back again we'll have all sorts of fun new places to drink! Real cocktails, even.

    ReplyDelete