Saturday, January 21, 2012

Nha Trang and Hoi An

6 January 2012 - Nha Trang

We spent the first day in Nha Trang going to the hot spring/mud bath. It was awesome. 20 minutes in a slippery warm clay bath left my skin feeling silky. Then headed to the hot spring water tub prior to having a massage. After all this we went to the warm waterfall where the water acts as a natural massage...if I wasn't hungry I would've stayed there all day!

Oh and probably the best thing was  when we were heading there I was following signs to it and missed one so we had to back track....but we ended up at a gate confused because it was locked...or so it seemed but it actually just looked locked so the locals helped us. Also, prior to that was what looked like a really cute bicycle path that would have been fun to explore but sadly I never made it back there.

Woven basket boat 

Fishing boat

View from the balcony


7-8 January 2012 - Nha Trang

As the weather wasn't that great these two days I sat and enjoyed the balcony and really didn't do to much.  I did have to go on a 3 hour trip to find bus tickets to Hoi An but that was really all I ended up doing.

Did go down to the beach as well but since it was quite windy it was actually nicer to be on the balcony looking at the beach but hidden from the wind and sea mist.

And then on the night of the 8th we got to go on our first overnight bus! Once more I'm glad I'm short as I fit in the tight quarters just fine.

9 January 2012 - Hoi An

Getting into Hoi An is a very odd feeling.  As you walk in the old city there are cute shop fronts but then you notice this non Vietnamese music being piped into the lanes...very very odd.  Once the Disneyworld feeling wears off the town is adorable.

Though for me this was city was a special type of torture as everywhere there are tailors and cobblers waiting to make your ideal anything.  Since it is known for this it is hard to find a shop with good quality at good prices.

The first order of business was for me to order pants and a long sleeve shirt made.  I didn't have any warm clothes (or pants) and knew as we headed to Hanoi and northern Laos that this would be needed.  Originally I was going to get a suit made for when I'm job hunting but the price was still more then I wanted to pay right now.

Then as we were walking around I saw this jacket I was in love with.  I also had been wondering if I should get a jacket to wear off the bike...well I was kind of coerced into it by the sales lady but it turned out good and I once again have a green coat!

If I wasn't on a budget and had limited space I would now be the proud owner of a new wardrobes with multiple pairs of boots!!  But alas maybe next time.

That night we went down to the waterfront and to my surprise the road was underwater!  It was just past full moon and the tide change caused the road to flood.  There was an awesome photo opportunity as a bicycle was parked on what earlier was the sidewalk but now was "floating on water" with boats right behind it.  The streets were lit with silk lanterns and there were paper lanterns floating down the river.  Very pretty indeed.

10 January 2012 - Hoi An


Today I was planning on heading to the beach after my morning fitting for clothes but it was sprinkling.  As such I walked around a little but mostly hibernated or went to the different fittings for clothes.  There was no electricity in town today so the tailors were running behind...though next day turn around is kinda crazy for me.  I did end up getting my jacket which I really like and makes me feel like a real person when I wear it!

11 January 2012 - Hoi An

Today I went around old town.  Went over the Japanese Bridge, into the old homes, communal houses and the folk museum.  Then just wandered the streets alone.  It was drizzling and there weren't very many people out.  It was a great day.

Wontons...like nachos of Hoi An

View of the river

Japanese Bridge

Leaf mudflap

Lady with the best desert so far...sticky, syrupy rice balls with coconut

New clothes!!

ROAR...dragon


No comments:

Post a Comment