Monday, January 30, 2012

Mai Chau to Son La


28 January 2012 – Mai Chau to Moc Chau – 60 km

The morning started good. In Mai Chau it was cloudy but pleasant. This didn't last long as I started the ascent fog settled in. It was so thick that I actually thought about taking off my glasses as I might have been able to see better!

Just as I was starting to get disheartened from climbing into a void for 2.5 hours. I turned a corner and there, much to my surprise, was a beautiful, clear, sunny sky! The rest of the climb was long but the scenery was outstanding.  Being able to look back at where I had been really helps keep the mind positive.  It was amazing to see the sun as it had been over 2 weeks since I'd had a sunny day.

Beginning of ride

End of ride...Hello Sun

more sunny scenes

After entering the sunshine the route undulated through the mountains. With a couple of exceptional downhill sections. On one such segment I past an older gentleman on a motorbike and he motioned for me to stop but I was going to enjoy my well deserved downhill and bolted past him. I stopped to refill my water and he caught up with me speaking in Vietnamese. But from his actions I gathered he was impressed. He may have said something lewd as he smacked my legs but I think he was saying I must be strong...judging from his facial expression. Then he kissed my hand farewell and best of luck (assuming). It was pretty awesome.

Got into town a lot sooner then I thought as I didn't think there was going to be as much downhill as there was.

Wandered around town. Finding food actually was difficult as I think everything was still closed for Tet. After three tries I finally found a place that was open and would serve me.

Went to the market to grab some fruit and the lady had a fruit I had never seen. I pointed and asked about it and she a little too eagerly agreed to let me try one. I complied as I like trying new things and was encountered with a sour bitter fruit. Reminded me of chokecherries without the pleasant flavor first. We laughed as I decided not to purchase those fruit and instead went for some oranges.

29 January 2012 – Moc Chau to Yen Chau – 60 km

Started the day with a gentle climb out of town. Then a blissful day of downhill. The clear skies of yesterday did not stay but it was a pleasant cloudy day with great views. A nice day of minimal effort while enjoying pedalling through small villages. I made it to my destination before noon and had to decide if I wanted to continue.

I had a couple of bike things to do plus my legs were quite sore from the days prior so I decided to stop and enjoy a short day.

Once again had trouble finding lunch. Luckily I went to where I knew I would find food...the market. Had yet another bowl of pho. Then for dessert had deep fried goodness with sweet filling. I really needed something other than just pho so it was a great find.

Bamboo bridge

the road


Then took a nap and fixed up Mabel before heading to hopefully find something to eat. There happened to be a little place near by so I went in hoping to mime for food. Ended up having a great dinner tonight. Probably the best I have had while just miming (though one of the top in Vietnam as well). I ordered rice and beef but was shown pork which was fine. Out came the sliced pork and rice and then other dishes kept coming. My favorite was tofu with tomatoes. Also had soup and steamed kohlrabi. The owner even put on an english language TV station to make me feel welcome. It was really sweet.

30 January 2012 - Son La - 62 km

Today was another day of riding through villages.  Actually a lot more villages today with colorful native clothes.  My favorite of today was an older women with a bright green sweater vest and traditional head garment (pink, red and black) with traditional pants that moved to the side of the road as I passed and waved to me.  She had such a welcoming smile!

Half hearted shot of mountains

How far have I gone this time?...oh thanks

Sneaking a photo of the ox pulled plow


Got into town and found a decent looking and priced hotel.  Only after I checked in did I notice the signs for massage and the massage parlor next door....but the room is nicer than the other hotels and cheaper so if it is a brothel it's a nice one.  

Went to find food and for the first time in a while I achieved it no problem.  After I received my dish the family that owned the restaurant sat down for their lunch.  The owner brought me over one of his deep fried rice/fish/pea things which I ate happily.  After I could slow down eating enough to look around I saw them motion for me to come over to their table.  I now know that anytime you are offered food by Vietnamese you will get drunk.  I don't understand the etiquette but four or five shots in or a very strong alcohol I was trying to shove enough food in to counter it.  

Needless to say I had many more of the deep fried things along with fried pork fat, pork/beef bits? (maybe nose?), delicious sour fish soup, beef with vegetables and only a little of my chicken with mushrooms.  It was a fun lunch and I was glad to get to try so many different things!  

Had some more climbing to do today but wasn't too bad.  My legs are beginning to feel it though so I have decided to cut tomorrows ride in half.  There is a big climb late in the day and I just don't think my legs will make it.  This not only means a short day for me but more importantly a sleep in!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like lots of adventures woman! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete