Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chiang Dao Caves

Chiang Dao Caves

Met three Americans doing a scooter tour at the guesthouse last night and headed to the caves with them this morning prior to them heading on their way.  The cave was interesting as the upper level was very hot and made me nervous as all these propane torches were used to show us through.  But it was fun to be able to actually have to crawl through spaces.

I decided to stay another night but needed to head into town to the ATM.  On my way back I saw two cycle tourists without their panniers.  Turns out they were Canadians (Damon and Judy) who were both riding Surly Trolls!  That was the bike I was contemplating getting prior to realizing I should stick with something that is know to work.

They say they love theirs so it might have to be added to the flock at some point.

Anyway, they were looking for a Japanese Hippy festival they had been told about so I went along and we discussed their previous tours (including India) and bikes.  Sadly the music for the festival was only at night and as it's best not to cycle in the dark we wandered around talked to some people (one guy who has a Long Haul Trucker) and stopped at the hot springs for a look.

It turned out they were staying at the place next to mine so when we got back they should me a route into Chiang Mai and I described what they would be coming up against.

Then I went back to my place and met a French couple who had sailed from France to the Philippines.   Really good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment