Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Luang Prabang to Huay Xai - Slow boat

13 and 14 February 2012 - Pak Beng and Huay Xai

After not much debate I decided to take the two day slow boat from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai at the Laos/Thai border.  I was worried because there were reports of it being very cramped and imagined 2 days on the second boat to Nong Kiaw!  That would be horrible.

This was totally the right call as the boat ride was amazing!  As we were heading the opposite way of most travelers we had the double bus seats so plenty of room.  Not to mention there was actually an aisle we could walk down along with a toilet.  It was an great ride with beautiful scenery.  Totally relaxing and wonderful.

The first day everyone pretty much stuck to themselves and read or listened to music.

When we made it into Pakbeng for the night I saw a couple of cyclists on the hill as I was unloading everything off of the boat (and ensuring I wasn't going to pay anyone an 'unloading' fee).  By the time I got Mabel and the bags up the stairs they were gone but I would find them shortly just checking into a guesthouse.  Six of them, they all met on the boat from Huay Xai.

So I decided to stay there as well and we had dinner and chatted.  It was great to meet so many cyclists and one of them was from Wisconsin so that was kind of funny.  It's nice to hear someone else with the same accent.

The next day there was more talking and I chatted with a Czech couple and a French guy.  Also filled out a job application.  That felt really weird but hey I had 10 hours on the boat as we were traveling against the current.

Mabel is getting a suntan on top


1000 buddha cave (tour we missed but got to see the outside)



locals swimming and playing

Long boat on the Mekong



No comments:

Post a Comment