Friday, February 17, 2012

Huay Xai to Mae Chan - 90 km?

Got up today and headed for my last Laos meal prior to heading to Thailand.  Had a great noodle soup from the same stall I had supper the night before.  Then went to get a coffee prior to heading to get checked out of Laos and take the short boat ride across the river.

Had the guy put Mabel on the boat panniers and all.  I helped lift her and was hoping someone would help on the other side.  Of course I had forgotten I'd be in Thailand where multiple people helped me and amazingly the boarder check was done quite quickly.  With that I headed towards Chiang Sean.  Immediately the changes were evident.  There were signs to the city with distances (I haven't seen signage the whole trip).  The dogs will bark and chase you (only rarely have they on the trip but here it's pretty much all of them).  Not to mention the roads were in good condition.

I had been warned by the cyclists that there were two routes - long and short.  Short was more hilly and long was less.  It just so happened that I had wanted to take long as it followed the river the whole way which just made it better that it wasn't as hilly.  This was a very quite road through rural Thailand with gentle rolling hills most of the way.


I got to Chiang Sean around lunchtime and had to decide if I wanted to stay or continue.  The town looked cute and the ruins of the old wall and old city were quite beautiful but as I had changed the next days itenary to include some major climbing I thought it best to reduce the kms.  So I continued on my way after a beautiful pork red curry with rice.  Yummy!

I followed a road that was under construction hoping that the sign I had followed was indeed now the road I wanted.  About 20 km in it was confirmed as the road.  This was a fairly boring roadway which allowed my mind to wander.  Prior to 3:00 I was in Mae Chan and looking for a guesthouse.  I found one with a very basic room for a good price but no attached bathroom so I decided to try my luck and see if there was anything better.  Glad I did as I came across a villa (w/ mean dog) that had a sitting room, double bed, carport (though Mabel came into the sitting room), free wifi, and attached bathroom.  I pay $10 US which was triple the other room but worth it for all the conveniences!

Along the Mekong on the Thailand side

Mabel chillin

Condiments!

Crispy pork in curry paste

No comments:

Post a Comment