Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tha ton to Chiang Dao cave

17 February 2012 - Tha ton to Chiang Dao Cave - 105 km?

So after yesterday's little rant about how people suck.  I woke up with "How I live (without you)" stuck in my head.  NOTE TO SELF: Really? REALLY?

Anyway,  started the first part of the day not sure if it was foggy or smoky.  That would be the second, guess they burn off land in Thailand as well as Laos.  I was still in a icky mood from yesterdays thinking about stupid people and having this annoying song stuck in my head was not improving it either....not even Yellow Submarine would budge it from my head.  So I pedaled towards the destination of the day.  As it appeared I would make it there prior to 11:00 I needed to stop and have a coffee.  I have a rule that I can't stop prior to 11:00, well unless I'd planned on it so this would allow me to get into town perfectly at said hour.

Of course sometimes when you're a lemon life throws you some sugar to make lemonade.  As I was waiting for my coffee the guy next to me and I started chatting.  He was Taiwanese and owned a orange grove.  He left and then I heard a horn honk.  It was him in his vehicle, I went over and he asked if I wanted to see his grove and he would cook some Japanese food for lunch.  How could I refuse?

Now there is always about 5 minutes after saying yes to these types of things where you wonder if it was a bad idea.  Especially when you get to his land and he locks the gate behind you (this is very common but unnerving with a stranger).  When we were going into his house I was pretty sure I was okay as I put on paw shaped crocs.

Cat paw crocs


He had 5 cats!  I immediately thought of some of my friends.

Anyway,  he showed me around part of his property and let me feed the baby geese.  Then we went back where I learned he was a textile engineer for 40 years prior to moving to Thailand to own the orange grove.  After some relaxing he started to cook an amazing meal of tempura vegtables, sushi, and miso soup.  It was lovely and I think we were both in need of company.  Of course as time went on I learned he was in his 70's!  Another wily 70 year old to make me feel better (when I broke my arm Baz who took me in is also in his 70's).  It makes me feel that my 70's will be equally interesting and filled with 20 something guys.

Chang with his beautiful meal

Chang and I before he drops me off


After hanging out for a few hours it was time for me to get back on the bike.  The best part was the last song that was playing was "How will I live (without you)"...hahaha I just got it out of my head.  Though from now on I will think of it as an amazing meal with great company!  When I was dropped off back on the highway he even purchased me a snack of roasted chicken!! Super sweet and just what I needed mentally.  Now I had less than 10 kms to do for the day.  I got into town and was looking for a place to stay but wasn't finding any so I just kept going and before I knew it my 'high on life' self flew through the town which I then decided to continue the 60 km more to Chiang Dao.

The rest of the ride was beautiful as the jagged hills were on the right.  Even the climbing didn't get me down.  I truly did get an energy and morale boost!  A great rest of the ride with not too steep hills and nice decents to break up the climbs.

I knew there was a back way to get into the Chiang Dao Caves so I followed my not good map where I thought it should be.  Well soon I was in the middle of nowhere and started heading back towards where the highway should be.  I got a great view of the sun going behind the hills.  As I continued on I started to get nervous that I was lost but luckily a lady was outside and she pointed me in the right direction.  After a few more direction stops I passed the caves and headed to find a guesthouse.  It was a truly great day and reminded me that most people are awesome and not to get stuck on the negatives. A lesson that seems harder than it should be for me to remember.




The guesthouse in Chiang Dao is really nice so I will be staying at least one more day.  Exploring the caves tomorrow and maybe part of the forest.  Though won't be going to the top as the smoke limits visibility.

Oh and the reason all of the km notes now have question marks is that my computer has become even more erratic.  It used to not work before 8:00 am (no joke it would start working between 8 and 8:10 for the last bit of Vietnam).  It worked for a bunch of today but not the whole thing (I know I did at least 75 km).

1 comment:

  1. LeAnn Rimes thanks you. Stranger danger level this post: medium-high. However, that food looks downright amazing. I'm sure your stomach thanked you for taking the risk, too.

    ReplyDelete