Sunday, November 7, 2010

And hoping for smooth sailing

07 November 2010 - Christchurch to Little River (on the way to Akaroa)
So I re-began my bicycle touring today. Started by going to a physio appointment where I was told that things were continuing to improve and then started my tour from there. Scared, exhilarated, anxious, scared, happy, scared were the feelings I felt as I began cycling with my fully loaded bike. This was a flat route...I had picked the route specifically for this reason but I still was not comfortable as I began.

Stella wondering if I'm mad at her as I stop for lunch...notice bionic arm strapped to top
I wondered to myself if I should have written a note to my confid ence in advance of my departure something along the lines of:

"Dear Confidence, If you would be so kind as to return prior to 7 November I would be most grateful. I currently do not want to go long distances with all of my gear but think your presence would be very helpful in relieving this feeling. Thanks in advance. xoxo Carissa"
Unfortunately I did not think of this until after I was biking so it had no idea that I missed it so much.
Anyway, slowly as the km continued to pile on biking started to feel enjoyable. When after 25 km I could look around while pedaling I remembered why I love my bike and why I'm crazy enough not to give it up (though it's not really a choice anyone since I am addicted). Of the 67 km I decided to try 14 km on the gravel Little River Rail Trail. This was a lot of fun and the five other bikers I met were all women (pretty nifty).
This was the start of the Little River Trail...decided to wait 7 km to get on it...sheep scare me


Little River Trail 10 km from start

Prior to the campground where I was planning on spending the night was the accommodation I had scheduled to stay at on the way back to Christchurch. So I stopped in an get to stay in a Yurt! Yeah Yurt!
The yurt

Inside of yurt

Tomorrow will be a shorter day but more challenging as there is a big hill followed by 4 smaller hills prior to Akaroa.

No comments:

Post a Comment