Saturday, November 6, 2010

Nelso/Picton/Golden Bay

Early October to Mid October

Stayed a day in Picton prior to heading to Nelson. Stacie, Max, Darren and I ended up going on a bike ride. Darren was quite a trouper since his bike was the worst out of theirs...he could only go in one gear. We made it a good 8 or 9 km return. It was fun to ride with people, even if they maybe didn't have the best of time.

Evening near the beach in Nelson
Public art on bridge rail...I really liked that it was in braille

My goal for arriving in the South Island was to be able to attend some of the first annual Nelson Bicycle Festival. Mostly because they had a whole program of social bike rides to help me up my miles and confidence.

I attended one of the social rides shortly after arriving in Nelson, andwas introduced to the rail to trail network. Also, I was provided with a name of a WWOOF couple who also were into cycling. Since my physio therapist wanted to see me again I would have to stay in Nelson for an additional week. Not too hard to do as it is the sunshine capital of NZ. Also, it allowed me to watch the Crit Race (though participation was low) and introduce it to a friend.

Low clearance...I rode my bike under this an hour before

Michelle and I planned to go up to Golden Bay and rented a car for the weekend. The road there was incredibly windy and driving on the left made it even more interesting. We made it up and over and had two jammed packed days of tramps and sights. Including a natural limestone labryinth!

We ventured out on a one lane 11 km long gravel road to see Harwoods hole and the beech tree forest that surrounded it. Along with heading to farwell spit...where we couldn't find the lookout until we peeked around a corner. (More pictures to come at a later date)

PuPu springs...clearest fresh water springs in the world

Labryinth in Golden Bay...I may never get out

No comments:

Post a Comment