Friday, November 19, 2010

the first deadline of my vacation

Mikenna and I set a date for walking the Queen Charlotte Track and I had to make it up to Picton by November 22nd.

16 November 2010 - Christchurch to Greta Valley - 80 km, avg 19.6 km/hr

Started on my way to Picton today. It was a cool morning which turned into a hot day with the road long, straight and no shade. I stopped in Amberley at the Brew Moon Cafe for lunch. As you may suspect this is a brewery. I had the beer sampler and an amazing scallop dish.

Between Amberley and Greta Valley

Sampler - Pale Ale, Brown Ale, IPA, and Stout

Fancy! Scallop with pineapple salsa

After lunch the wind picked up. Since it was a side wind it didn't help me but it kept the temperature to a reasonable level. For my afternoon break I stopped in the only shade I had seen in the last 20 km and had a nice rest. As I get back on my bike I find out I have a flat. With only 10 km left I really didn't want to change it on the side of the road so crossed my figures and hoped that I could limp it to Greta Valley. Thankfully it was a slow leak and could change the tire in the convenience of the campground lounge. Also, since it was so windy the owners allowed me to rent the caravan for the same price of a tent. Score.

I end up changing out my rear tire even though don't think it is ruined but I don't want to change a tube again for a while (hopefully).

17 November 2010 - Greta Valley to Hawkswood - 62 km, 17.7 km/hr

No atms, 60 km, 1 hour weeding, crappy kitchen, possum, rooster, rain, wake start, left journal
In Greta Valley I realized that I left my toothbrush in Christchurch so would need to get another one and stop at the ATM. Well I get into Cheviot and remember to get the toothbrush and ask about the ATM...which ended up being broken. I had only change left in my bag...but figured the campsite would take credit cards or do internet banking or something.

With that I stopped at a cafe. It's fun to see the difference in guy cyclists versus women cyclists. As myself and another cyclist (though driving) both were stopped at this cute cafe with good food, coffee and a little art gallery. I wouldn't find my guy friends in this delightful little place (or not without some prodding).

It's a hot day and by kilometer 55 I'm ready to be off of my bike and enjoying relaxing. When I finally find the correct turnoff (thought it was 2 km prior to where it was well signed) I get in and talk to the lady about a tent site. It turns out it is a women who is wwoofing and that the owner is out but available by phone. I tell her I have 8 dollars in cash or can use credit card or other banking items.

She calls the owner who responds that I can go back the way I came 8 kms (16 km return) and they "might" have an ATM. If I wasn't so tired I thought about just heading out to the next campsite or Kaikoura (20 or 44 km more) but the heat had zapped me. Right before I get to my breaking point she does mention that I could work in exchange (maybe should have started with that?). So I paid my $8 and had to work 1 hour at weeding. Weeding after 60 km is not the most enjoyable task....lesson learned ALWAYS have a secret stash of cash.

Now if this was the end of the story it would have been annoying but deserved. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the facilities I had seen earlier were not for camping patrons but for the cabins. So after I had weeded I was shown into the filthy kitchen with no working fridge and the toilet/shower where you needed heman strength to close the door.

To continue on this delightful experience they had a massive possum problem so I was awoken at 2 am to their screeching (it's quite horrid) which went on for an hour. Luckily at 4 am the roosters started crowing so I wouldn't sleep in!

Also, I realized later that night that I had left my notebook in the game room and didn't have a chance to send a note until after Queen Charlotte which she responded snidily that 12 days had past and it could be anywhere (though she did "look" for it). So I would not recommend the Staging Post near Hawkwood...continue to the campsite by the river where you may actually get sleep.

18 November 2010 Hawkswood to Kaikoura

Hawkswood to Kaikoura was a great ride. The morning was sunny as I went through hills and the Hunderlees. As I moved towards the hills I felt a little like saws as the impending doom of climbing them was coming closer and closer. The hills were not as bad as expected though fresh chip seal is even less fun when going downhill. On one of the breaks I started my Micheal Jackson impression as I didn't put on my gloves and one had magically stuck to my gear.

As I reached the coast I came down into thick fog for 20 km. I rode along the coast with an erry feeling until the last hill into Kaikoura. As I reached the top and started the descent into Kaikoura I came into a sunny day with the mountains and sea beautifully framed. It was a great way to end a day and I was glad to spend a rest day in such beauty.

19 November 2010 Kaikoura

I did very little today as my legs were still recovering. I did manage to get rid of the mind numbing squeal from my back pulley. The "bike mechanic" did not touch my bike but allowed me to use the tools and stand! It was great...especially since he had only been a bike mechanic for three months and needless to say Stella was not going to be left in his care. Which he was fine with because he was the only one working the full sporting goods store.

Other than that I relaxed in the hostels spa (hot tub) while enjoying the view of the mountains.

20 November 2010 Kaikoura to Pedaller's Rest

Leaving Kaikoura after a day of rest was nice. It was partly cloudy in the morning but a nice temperture. I resisted the temptation to stop and buy a crayfish (lobster) from the roadside stands. I did stop at the seal colony...of course right as I got there the Kiwi Experience (imagine a bus load of19 year olds on a booze cruise) arrived 2 minutes later..I shortened my viewing and continued.

Nearing my reststop for the night the rain was chasing me. I got into the cabin/hostel shortly before it started pouring on the tin roof. There really is very few things that sound as plesant as rain on a tin roof. I was the only cyclist staying (Pedaller's Rest) and enjoyed a quite night with a radio and couch.

As I did my exercises with a giant rubber band it slipped off of the door handle and preceeded to hit me straight in the face!! And there were no witnesses of my sillyness...so I texted Mikenna who was having her going away party in Wellington...hence people got to enjoy my talent.

21 November 2010 - Pedaller's Rest to Blenheim - 58 km, 18.1 km/hr

The day started with a misty drizzle. As I was trying to be nice to the car that was behind me on the gravel road from Pedaller's Rest I managed to pedal strike my shin to the point of tears! Not a good way to start a day or to do right before a long hike.

There were a few hills to get through. As I stopped in Seddon a nice older couple from Christchurch offered me a cup of tea. It was a sweet gesture but I was so warm I declined.

A group of the Wellington crowd was in Blenheim working on vineyards so I got to meet up with them. It was fun to see everyone and they got to witness my scaredy-cat ways when I watch scary movies!! I did warn them though.

22 November 2010 - Blenheim to Picton - 28 km, 20.2 km/hr

This was a short day but it seemed long as it was straight and mostly flat...plus I was ready to be in Picton and see Mikenna!

I had arranged with a couple from Warmshowers to pick up and store my bike at the end of the Queen Charlotte track. They were even kind enough to come and pick the bike up from Picton which was great for me.

Once Stella was taken care of I had a short wait until Mikenna got into the city. It was great to see her again and we caught up on what had been going on before spending the rest of the afternoon getting ready for the track the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment