Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Try Try Again

04 November 2010

Today is what I would call my first real hard day of riding since my accident. Rode 22 Km total with a 2 km "walk". The walk was a mtb/walking path that my current setup was most definitely not going to handle...not only the incorrect gear ratio but the skinny tires would have been flat at the end.

So downhills are indeed still a problem and due to my bike not being compatible with cantilever brakes I really have to just live with going no more than 25 km/hr downhill. Which on the plus side forces me to do my exercises, as well as I'm still not confident enough to go full on down a hill (nor should I be as my grip strength is still slightly lacking).

Sheep and view of Christchurch from Summit Road

The weather was a bit warm for my liking at 22 degrees Celsius while riding but was sunny and truly gorgoues as I walked around Lyttleton.

After the downhill section I need to look at the length of downhill to Akarua to see if I need to catch a lift the last part of this route. My plan is to start touring again on in four days after my second physio appointment in Christchurch. It's interesting because not only am I touring the country but also the physio departments *smile*. From my point of view this is great as I get everyones best techniques to help me improve...though it would be nice to have a little consistancy.

In general I'm tired of having to worry about my arm and limit my activities. Though it's hard to be too disappointed as I now can bike and Christchurch is a nice flat city with plenty of bike infrastructure to keep me occupied. Of course there is the fact of aftershocks...which after awhile you forget what they are since I haven't had to deal with them for the last month. It's very interesting to see the structural damage to brick buildings and when riding to see the cracks that resulted from the original earthquake.

03 November 2010

Met a short term bicycle tourist (Stuart) and another traveler (Ash) who has done a couple of bike tours before so we all went out for a ride today. In the morning I had my physio appointment so everyone had to wait until I got back.

We started towards Bottle Lake Forest Park a nice 13 km flat ride. At the park Stuart had to head back as he was catching a flight later that day. Ash and I continued to the park...which was just a pine plantation with walking, mtb, and horse paths in it. So we did 12 km of offroad riding...mostly pretty calm but a few places it got a little interesting witht the wrist. We than had the pleasure of most of the next 15 km being into the wind! fun times

No comments:

Post a Comment