Sunday, November 14, 2010

Second verse same as the first...in reverse

09 November 2010

Today I swam with the worlds smallest dolphin. The hector dolphin is only 1 meter to 1.4 meters long and has a rounded dorsel fin. In other words it is super cute.

The company provides you with a 5 mm wetsuit. So the water is not balmy by any means. They cruise you out until they fine a pod of dolphins who seem friendly (i.e. no calves and not feeding) and then let you into the water. We spent 45 minutes in the water as the dolphins play around you.

Prior to my swim I went out on one of the hostels three speeds. They even had baskets...though theirs were not plastic with pink and purple flowers.

Views near Akaroa

The hostel had three speeds!! Stella was not happy


10 November 2010 - Akaroa to Barry's Bay

I decided to break up the hills on the way back to Christchurch into two days. One day for the four little hills and one day for the big hill. Today I headed over to Barry's Bay where I stayed a delightful hostel called the Halfmoon Cottage.

The great thing about New Zealand is their road names are very informative. Such as loop, crescent, or say Flat Road. Yes on my way to Barry's Bay just prior to the last hill there was a picnic area that I pondered about stopping at for lunch but I decided to just get it over with and have lunch at the hostel. That is until I passed the road just after it that was named "O..... Flat Road". I immediately turned around and stopped at the picnic area for lunch. After lunch I enjoyed the flat road the last 2 km to Barry's Bay and was also rewarded with a good view.

Flat Road


I then continued to French Farm to do a wine tasting but unfortunately the cellar door was closed and I just got in a 5 km ride instead. It was nice because I got to go out minor hills without my packs so could stand up as I went up hills. The little things that you miss when touring but a broken spoke really isn't worth standing.

11 November 2010 - Barry's Bay to Ataahua

Started out the day with a 6 km climb it was ~25 degrees C so I was quite warm as I was also on the east side of the hill. I stopped often but overall the hill seemed easier this time around...it made sense as I realized there was no headwind.

Stella trying to hitch the rest of the way up the hill

Right prior to Hilltop I recieved a friendly honk and wave, which was very nice. It's amazing how those last bits can really wear you as you anticipate the downhill. I learned an important lesson as I stopped in the cafe for lunch...do not stop 200 m from the top of a hill and than eat a big meal. I had to walk the rest of the way up the hill as my stomache cramped from the effort.

I continued on to Little River where I decided to once again get on the bike trail. Just as I was beginning to to really enjoy riding on the trail I hit a sharp rock and got a flat on the rear tire. As I go to take off my wheel I realize that my locking quick release is stuck. A guy riding past stops to help but he can not get it to release either. Luckily when I call up Justin he reminds me of the golden rule of bike mechanics...when all else fails use blunt force. Lifting the back tire and dropping it from a couple inches from the ground I then try the quick release again and like magic I can get my tire off and change it with no further issues.

Stella laying down on the job...needs a new tube STAT

First flat fixed!

Continue stopping at Birdlings Flat and deciding to domain camp at Ataahua.

Birdling Flats

12 November 2010 - Ataahua to Christchurch

The ride today was easy and noneventful.

1 comment: