Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chiang Mai

After breakfast and a couple of coffees I conceded I needed to leave Barrie and Sunnie's and than I continued on my way.  Though I was told about a route following the river by the Canadian couple I wasn't in the mood to meander and enjoy.  Was ready to get to the city and get me a massage.  Part of this had to do with the fact that Barrie and I had stayed up late drinking beer and my head was a little fuzzy this morning.

So I followed the busy highway into town.  As I was going I thought it might have been a good idea to take the other route but too late now.

Got into town and was wandering around for a decent guesthouse when I ran into the women's only one I had heard about.  It had a gated courtyard perfect for Mabel and little extras that only ladies care about so I decided to stay.  Like free cookies and fruit!

Didn't do too much that day as I was tired from the ride and lack of sleep.

22 February 2012 - Chiang Mai

Today I ran a bunch of errands that needed to get done.  I went out to the train station and got my ticket to Bangkok, had pictures printed so I can send them to Chang, got a haircut (hell yeah no more mullet), and went through my bags to get rid of stuff.  Since I was so productive I thought I earned a massage!

Was going to go back out but ended up chatting with my dorm mate for the rest of the evening.

23 February 2012 - Chiang Mai

My dorm mate (Oksana) had done a cooking class that she really enjoyed so I signed up for the same on.  It was really good as the instructor was funny and lively.  Plus there were only 7 of us so we all started chatting.

After spending all day slaving over the kitchen I decided to get a 2 hour massage.  I've decided to take full advantage of my last days in Thailand and inexpensive massages.  After I was all relaxed I went to the little street market and ate prior to coming back to chat with Oksana again.

24 February 2012 - Chiang Mai

Today was shopping day.  After six months of wearing the same thing I was ready for a new outfit and needed a swimsuit for Australia.  There are so many cute dresses everywhere and most are under $10.  So I bought three dresses and a swimsuit for under $40.  Prior to this I only had 2 off bike shirts and 1 pair of shorts which would not be enough for Australia where most of the time will not be cycling days. (Not that I need justification).

Of course had another massage.  Then I hit a little sad spot as happens sometimes so I went to grab a beer prior to dinner and was going to come back to the guesthouse.

As it happened I couldn't resist the sign at the Irish pub for Guinness.  I guess I want to get used to paying Australian prices.  So I get my most delicious stout...nothing better then a smooth cold beer in hot weather and see that Rugby is on and better yet in about an hour ice hockey will be playing.  And there I sat no longer the least bit sad as I got to watch two of my favorite sports in a cute dress, with a new haircut being left totally to myself.  Yes, this was good.

The funny thing was that Vancouver was playing.  The last time I watched hockey was the Stanley cup last year where Vancouver played horribly.

Luckily the game was a good one and I enjoyed it until the third period when a Canadian sat down next to me.  We started chatting and I ended up not seeing the rest of the game but he was quite interesting and had just gotten into Thailand a couple of weeks before.  Had one of those great life discussions and overall good time.  You guessed it another retired man.  The longer I travel the more excited I get to grow old.  Not only will I have the adventurous spirit but the wisdom to go along with it.

A really perfect end to an overall great day.  Also, helped me remember not to sweat the small stuff as life is pretty grand.

As a cycle tourist there isn't much to do in Chiang Mai as it turns out most people come to the city to head to the remote areas I was just in.  So I do wish I would have stayed another day or two out in the country but I met some great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment