Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fremantle


7 March 2012 – Rottnest

Took the ferry from Hillary's to Rottnest with Dane. When had to share the ferry with a full boat of school children. What a noisy boat. Expecially because we were in the front and the trip was a bumpy one.

Dane wasn't feeling the best so it was funny to hear his little statements at particularly annoy kids.

When we got to the island Dane got us a campsite as I became a sherpa. I had strapped Dane's bag with the tent and his stuff on top of my rack and had my backpack on along with my purse. While Dane was riding unencumbered. He soon found how nice bike racks were...especially if they aren't on your bike.

We quickly set up the tent as we only had a few hours of sunlight left. The wind was really blowing so we left hoping our tent would be there when we returned.

As Dane wasn't feeling the best we went a short way around the coast and found a beach to swim in prior to heading back and picking up food. We picked up a great selection of picnic food to have on the beach.

We stopped by the campsite on the way to discover that the tent was still there though was looking quite sickly. We tried to make a couple of adjustments only to discover that one of the poles had snapped. As it was there was still room for our heads without risk of suffocation so we left it to go to the beach and see the sunset.

This was one of the best dinners/nights I've had in a long time as we sat on the steps to the lighthouse watching the sunset, eating good food, in great company, and drinking almost tequila sunrises. As the night progressed the near full moon lit up the beach and we had a great view of the planets and then stars coming out.

Dane had just bought a SLR camera and we sat playing around with it. Making both of us appear as ghosts without bodies.

After going back to the campsite to reveal that our tent had not become worse and fighting off the kangaroo rats that persisted on trying to attack me (or not). We settled into our rundown accommodations for a lovely nights sleep.

8 March 2012 – Rottnest to Fremantle

Went with Dane to his ferry as he had to get back for work and then headed out around the island. It was another lovely day and I had until 4:00 to explore. I would cycle a bit and then stop off for a swim in one of the bays.

I made it all the way to the west end of the island and headed back towards town. Unfortunatly I forgot to hire a snorkel set so I did get any snorkeling in. As I neared the area that we had cycled the day before I headed inland to the beautiful but slightly aromatic Pink Lake.

Then made my way back to town for a late lunch

The Sail and Anchor had choices upon choices of delicious beer. Though they didn't have a sour on tap so ya know. I did however get a chili dry dock (chili dry hopped) and an American IPA. I love AIPA's when I'm not in the country because they rarely use cascade hops which I'm still on the fence about.

After sitting reading my book I looked around at the posters decorating the walls and recognized a fair amount but had a couple surprised. Such as Rainer Brewery....the only beers I've had of theirs are similar to PBR the midwestern classic but actually in Seattle they will have PBR on tap prior to Rainer. Crazy town. After having a laugh on that note I decided to grab some beers and head back to the hostel. Luckily for me (sarcasm) there are quite a few longtermers so I don't want to deal with breaking into the realm at this moment in time. Really should've stayed around instead of going out for drinks by myself but I had fun that I can't really translate to other people. Not too many people are satisfied by looking out a window at the bikes that go by, reading a book and drinking good beer.

So in the last week I've noticed that I have a couple of serious problems. One is my bike obsession (really I wouldn't call it obsessive) and my beer obsession (same statement as before).

No comments:

Post a Comment